Happy Friday everyone. Casey here.
A quick post today, since I am on vacation this week. And because I’m on vacation, I have a giant TBR (to be read) list. Oh, don’t worry, I’m still writing two books at once. Although it looks like Mystic Hero is winning the word count war.
I mentioned last week that I troll the Kindle Daily Deal everyday, so most of these books are on my Kindle purchased as a result of said “deal”. Here’s what I have on my plate (which is a slim fraction of the TBR pile):
1. The People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo – And the Evil that Swallowed Her Up by Richard Lloyd Parky – non-fiction, true crime
2. Little Blog on the Prairie by Cathleen Davitt Bell- YA/Middle Grade
3. Money Shot by Christa Faust – Crime Noir
4. A Bad Day for Voodoo by Jeff Strand – YA
5. Nightwings by Robert Silverberg – Science Fiction
And finally, earlier in the week I read The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (and in case you missed it, Galbraith was outed as JK Rowling). I read my local library’s copy because there is no way I’m spending $9.99 on a digital book. I really enjoyed it. The story sucked me in and I finished in about two days.
So you may (or may not) be asking yourself, with a week of vacation and nothing to do – why are you reading at all? Surely, the time could be better spent just writing. Well, I have been writing (I average about 3,000 words in about 2 – 3 hours).
I also believe, that to be a better writer and storyteller, I have to keep reading. Otherwise, life is no fun for me and my writing actually comes easier if I don’t spend all my time stressing about it.
What about you? What’s in your TBR pile? And if you’re a writer, do you find reading helps with the writing process?