Today, I’m poking my head out of the writer’s cave to share a quick, easy recipe that I call Casey’s Taco Beef Melt. This is one of those recipes that I just threw together using things I had already had on hand and, added bonus, it cooks quickly without heating up the house too much.
Feel free to substitute chicken (or other meat) for the ground beef or use only beans, or use tortilla chips instead of Doritos. Also, this can be used as topping on a salad or rolled into a soft tortilla.
- 1 – 2 lbs ground beef (I used two because I have hungry men to feed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 – 2 packages low sodium taco seasoning (if you use 1 pound of beef, use 1 package)
- Water – according to seasoning packages.
- Doritos (about 1/3 of an 11 ounce bag)
- 1- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese of your choice
1. In a skillet, brown beef (or meat of your choice). Drain excess fat once browned.
2. Add beans, then taco seasoning and water.
3. Once the seasoning is thickened, crush up chips and place over top until covered.
4. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the tops of the chips. Cover with lid until chees melts.